Who doesn’t love a quiche? Vegetarian quiches are one of the most versatile summer dishes – they’re perfect for picnics, serve as alternative meat at a barbie, and even make a filling lunch.
One of the best things about them is that you can use so many items from your fruit and veg home delivery to fill your quiche, and stock up on a host of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients at the same time!
Let’s explore the wonderful world of quiches with our recipe for a classic pastry case and some ideas for nutritious and delicious vegetarian fillings.
You don’t need much experience to make this easy pastry case. Once you’ve got the hang of it, homemade vegetarian quiches are sure to become one of your regular easy dishes for summer.
- Add the flour to a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub it in until the mixture looks and feels like fine breadcrumbs. Add up to 3 tablespoons of cold water until you are able to form the pastry in a ball.
- Roll out your ball of dough onto a surface dusted with flour then transfer it to a 20 cm loose-bottomed flan tin.
- Chill the tin and pastry in your fridge for 30 minutes and preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- After the 30 minutes are up, prick the pastry with a fork to stop air bubbles from forming as it bakes. Cut out enough baking paper to line the base and sides of the flan tin, then add baking beans on top to weigh it down.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and take off the beans and baking paper. Return the pastry case to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until the base is slightly brown. Trim off any excess pastry and set aside to cool. Now reduce your oven temperature to 180 degrees Celsius ahead of adding your chosen quiche filling
Now for the fillings…
As we’ve seen, quiches are incredibly versatile dishes that are easy to put together in no time. Take inspiration from some of our suggested fillings, or experiment with items from your fruit and veg online delivery to make your own alternatives.
- For a basic filling mix, soften your chosen vegetables by frying in butter or olive oil for a few minutes and add ¼ cup grated cheddar or other cheese of your choice at the end of cooking.
- Combine 2 large eggs and 250 ml of cream in a bowl with some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the cooked vegetables into the pastry case, then pour over the egg and cream mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until just set. Take care not to overcook.
Try some of these great ideas for fillings:
Mushroom and broccoli
Spinach (feta cheese works particularly well here)
Cherry tomatoes and red pepper
Any combination of roasted vegetables (simply roast instead of frying before adding to the quiche)
Fruit and veg delivery Melbourne
If you’re looking for fruit and veg in Brighton, look no further than Bright n Fresh. Take your pick from our fresh produce listed online and click to order…it couldn’t be simpler!
As well as vegetables for your summer quiches, you can also stock up on a wide selection of fresh fruit.
Contact us to find out more about getting locally sourced, quality fruit and veg delivered to your door in the Brighton area.