You don’t need much experience to make this easy pastry case. Once you’ve got the hang of it, homemade vegetarian quiches are sure to become one of your regular easy dishes for summer.
- Add the flour to a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub it in until the mixture looks and feels like fine breadcrumbs. Add up to 3 tablespoons of cold water until you are able to form the pastry in a ball.
- Roll out your ball of dough onto a surface dusted with flour then transfer it to a 20 cm loose-bottomed flan tin.
- Chill the tin and pastry in your fridge for 30 minutes and preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- After the 30 minutes are up, prick the pastry with a fork to stop air bubbles from forming as it bakes. Cut out enough baking paper to line the base and sides of the flan tin, then add baking beans on top to weigh it down.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and take off the beans and baking paper. Return the pastry case to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until the base is slightly brown. Trim off any excess pastry and set aside to cool. Now reduce your oven temperature to 180 degrees Celsius ahead of adding your chosen quiche filling