The New Year is the ideal time to get into healthy habits, so start as you mean to go on with our nutritious and tasty falafel and beetroot hummus bowl. Packed full of wholesome ingredients, this dish tastes as good as it looks and will inspire you to continue eating healthily into 2021.
Many of the ingredients can be ordered in your fruit and veg home delivery, and it’s easy to throw together for a quick lunch if you’re working from home. This dish works equally well as a light main meal for all the family. Its vibrant colours will appeal to little ones, and there is the added benefit of not needing any other accompaniment.
To say our falafel and beetroot hummus salad bowl is packed with good things is an understatement!
The chickpeas used to make the falafels are high in protein as well as being fibre-rich, which aids digestion.
Avocados are known for being high in vitamins C, B6, E and K, as well as antioxidants that are important for eye health, while the beetroot in the hummus is packed full of vitamins, minerals and other goodies such as pigments called betalains, which have anti-inflammatory properties.
The dish is low in calories and high in fibre too, and when you’ve made it once, it will become a favourite meal that you’ll return to time and again.
You’ll want to dive right into this colourful salad bowl bursting with taste and texture. Super quick and easy to make, it’s a delicious and healthy way to start the New Year!
Ingredients for the falafels
- 400 grams chickpeas (Canned, and drained)
- 1 cup cashews or almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 cups coriander (freshly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 35 grams whole flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Ingredients for the salad bowl
- Put the chickpeas, egg, garlic, herbs, salt and cumin in a food processor and mix. Take the mixture out and form into 16 balls. Flatten them a little and dip in flour. Then fry the falafel balls in 2 batches in a pan with the olive oil for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and place on a plate with a kitchen towel.
- Make up the couscous with 1¼ cups of boiling water and let the mixture rest for around 10 minutes, then fluff up with a fork. Coat the avocado portions lightly with the sesame seeds.
- Finally, arrange the ingredients equally between four bowls, topping each with 4 falafels and the beetroot hummus and sprinkling the pistachios over.
Fruit and veg online near me
Bright n Fresh makes it quick and easy to order your fruit and veg online. Simply scroll through our quality, fresh products and click to place your order.
As well as the vegetables and salad items used in this recipe, you can also order your fresh fruit from Bright n Fresh, Brighton’s favourite grocery store.
With quick and easy fruit and veg delivery in Melbourne, your quality ingredients are just a few clicks away.
Contact us to know more about getting locally sourced, quality fruit and veg in Brighton delivered to your door.