With summer just around the corner, it’s time to get healthy so you can enjoy the best season of the year. Include as many salad items in your fruit and veg home delivery as you can, combining them in a tasty salad that’s perfect for lunch al fresco. The brighter and more varied, the better, so you can benefit from a whole spectrum of nutrients.
Our rainbow super salad recipe takes advantage of the many vitamins and minerals available in everyday salad items.
Broccoli contains more protein than many other vegetables. It is also high in vitamins C and K, potassium, and iron and provides fibre to aid digestion.
Capsicums are bursting with vitamins — A, B1, B2, B2, B6, B9, C, E, and K to be precise! They also contain manganese, which helps keep your brain and nervous system healthy, and potassium, which plays several important functions in the body.
Avocado adds a creamy texture to your salads. It is known for its generous levels of monounsaturated fat — the “healthy fat” that can guard against heart disease — and vitamin E, which is great for keeping your skin and eyes healthy.
Vibrant red cabbage contains high levels of antioxidants, believed to play a key role in preventing diseases such as cancer. It is also packed with vitamins.
As well as giving them their bright colour, the beta carotene in carrots helps to slow down ageing of the brain.
Finally, basil adds a depth of flavour, while walnuts are considered to be excellent for brain health and protecting the memory.
This vibrant salad packed full of nutrients will help you welcome the summer in the most colourful way. It’s perfect for two people sharing as a main dish or as a side to add colour and flavour to your main course.
- 100 grams mixed quinoa
- 200 grams broccoli
- 1 red capsicum (cut into thin slices)
- 1 yellow capsicum (cut into thin slices)
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 150 grams red cabbage (shredded)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1 handfull basil
- 1 handful walnuts (halved)
- Soak the quinoa as directed on the packaging, then drain and rinse. Bring a pan of water to the boil, reduce to simmer, and add the quinoa. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces and cook in simmering water for 5 minutes and drain.
- For the dressing, mix the olive oil, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a jar with a lid. Shake well.
- Arrange the quinoa, broccoli, capsicums, avocado, cabbage, and carrot on a plate. Sprinkle the basil leaves and walnuts over the top and drizzle with the freshly made dressing.
Top tip: You don’t have to stick slavishly to the ingredients list. Beetroot, fresh peas, radish, and cherry tomatoes work equally well. You can also crumble feta cheese into your salad or add pomegranate seeds for extra taste and colour.
Fruit and veg online near me
It’s so easy to select your fruit and veg online for delivery to your door. Bright n Fresh is Brighton’s favourite grocery store, offering fruit and veg delivery in Melbourne.
Contact us to know more about the freshest and most convenient fruit and veg in Brighton, and let us help you get your summer off to a healthy — and colourful — start.